There is maybe no more difficult challenge to a father than finding himself a divorced dad and no longer living with the kids. It is as devastating an experience as I know of.Being a successful divorced dad--that is maintaining a good relationship with the children despite being divorced from their mother--is an extra burden for dads to bear. What can you do to have a greater probability of success in this situation?
1. The Effects of Divorce on Children and How to Cope
ONOKY - Fabrice LEROUGE/Brand X Pictures/Getty Images
Sometimes after a particularly painful divorce (is there any other kind?) a dad may not really see and understand the impact of that event on the kids. Find out from the experts what to expect as your children adjust to this new and strange reality in their life.
2. Keep Close to Home After Divorce Having a quality relationship with the kids after a divorce requires you to spend the time needed. And that requires you to stay close to home. Learn the hows and whys of staying in the proximity of your ex and the children.
3. What You Need to Know About Child Support If you are the non-custodial parent after a divorce, you are likely on the hook for child support. Find out what a dad needs to know about child support--how it is calculated, enforced and managed.
4. Making Joint Custody Work If you are fortunate enough to have been granted joint custody of the kids with your ex, you need to know the keys to manage this important relationship. Find out how other dads have made this joint custody situation a positive for all concerned.
5. Staying Connected with the Kids from Long Distance When you have to live away from the kids--maybe a military or employment assignment--relationships can be strained. Absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder; sometimes it can breed bad feelings. Learn ways to keep close even when separated by the miles.
6. Making the Most of Visitation When you do have the kids for the weekend or overnight, what should you do to maximize the positive impact of that experience? This article helps you think about and plan ahead for your visitation times.
7. Dating for Divorced Dads For even the most bitter divorced dad, there may come a time when he will want to get back into the dating scene. Find out how to successfully re-enter the dating arena, and how to help the children adjust to this new stage of your life.